Learn about the Patterns of High Control Churches
- Six Warning Signs Your Church Culture is Toxic
- Churches that Abuse by Ronald M Enroth
- Spiritual Abuse Resources: Guidelines for Spiritually Abused Persons
- Xenos is a Cult
- Dwell Community Church is a Cult
- The Daily Beast: Inside the Megachurch That Has Ex-Members Screaming Cult
- NBC4 Investigates: Former, current Dwell church members respond to cult accusations
- Spiritwatch Ministries: An Organic Deception: The Xenos / Dwell Heresy Briefly Examined
- Exploring How Well-Meaning Individuals Cause Significant Abuse through Religious Dogmatism, by Katie Reinaker
Spiritual Abuse Questionnaire
The following questions are from a dissertation: Development of a Spiritual Abuse Questionnaire, by Kathryn Hope Keller. Reflecting on your time in Dwell Community Church (or other group), consider these questions and how they may be indicators of a high control group that may cause you or others spiritual harm:
- Is it acceptable to express my true emotions in my church/group?
- Have leaders in my group acknowledged harm they caused to others?
- Do some leaders share information about other people (through prayer requests or otherwise) that should have been kept private?
- Do I feel that God’s love and acceptance of me is dependent upon my performance in the church/group?
- Do I find it hard to trust religious leaders or other churches?
- Do I trust myself to find a good spiritual community?
- Was I harshly criticized by religious leaders or church group members?
- Do I feel like a spiritual failure and depend on my leader or church group to “get it right”?
- Do I feel like God will punish me if I don’t do what my church group encouraged me to do?
- Do I now feel cynical about church or other religious groups?
- Do I feel freedom to ask questions or express concerns in my church group?
- Am I dependent on the church group?
- Do my religious leaders used fear to control people?
- Are myself or others expected to get information about other members for our leaders?
- Did I or other members get scolded by a leader and made to feel ashamed and helpless?
- Do I feel that if I could be totally surrendered to God if I did everything perfectly according to the church group’s instructions?
- Do I now feel lonely and misunderstood because of my church/group experiences?
- The Grief Recovery Handbook: The Action Program for Moving Beyond Death, Divorce, and Other Losses including Health, Career, and Faith
- The Verbal Abuse Recovery Workbook
- Recovery from Gaslighting and Narcissistic Abuse, Codependency and Complex PTSD
- Toxic Churches: Restoration from Spiritual Abuse
- Shame Interrupted: How God Lifts the Pain of Worthlessness and Rejection
- Healing Spritual Abuse: How to Break Free from Bad Church Experiences
- Redeeming Power: Understanding Authority and Abuse in the Church
- When Narcissim Comes to Church: Healing Your Community from Emotional and Spiritual Abuse
- The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse: Recognizing and Escaping Spiritual Manipulation and False Spiritual Authority Within the Church